Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Author Interview featuring Roderick Scurlock

Roderick Scurlock





This week we have Roderick Scurlock with us. I would like to thank Roderick for taking the time and answering a few questions. You can find more about him and his work after the interview. 

Interview




1. Please tell the readers a bit more about you.
My name is Rod Scurlock.  I was born in Western Washington, My wife Ruth and I have two children.  I attended Eatonville Wa. high school, and graduated from Oregon State University.  I served on a gun boat in WWII, in the Pacific. I spent my working years in the US Bureau of Indian Affairs, and the US Soil Conservation Service.  Since retirement in Boise Idaho I have owned several small businesses. I own a small ranch in Western Washington. 

2. What types of books do you write?
I write western novels.
3. Who's your main audience?
My main audience I believe is men, and teen age boys who love the outdoors and western life.
4. When it comes to writing- what are your strong points? What are your weaknesses?
 My strong points I believe is a good story line, my weak points are language structure and punctuation.
5. What do you think of this term- Writer's Block? How do you overcome it?
Writers block is real and frustrating.  I try to overcome it, by getting away from the computer, and thinking about something else for a while.
6. How many books have you written?
 twenty
7. How many are published?
I have self published five.
8. Are you self published or traditionally published?
self published
9. What's the hardest part of the writing process for you?
Going back over the story, and re-editing it.
10. What type of books do you enjoy reading?
Westerns
11. Who's your favorite Author?
Louis LaMour
12. What's your all time favorite book?
The Tall Stranger

13. How long does it take you to write a book?
Usually a couple of months

14. Out of all of your characters, which is your favorite? Why?
The favorite character in my books is Brad, the hero on my book, Red Gold.  He is a young man, intent on buying his neighbors farm when he left home.  He fought every major obstacle that got in his way of achieving his goal with courage, stamina, and perseverance, yet he was tender with the Indian girl he befriended and came to love, and thoughtful of her need to adhere to some of her native traditions.

15. What is one of the most surprising things you've learned as a writer?
How difficult it is to get published, and then to get your books out to the public.

16. What does your family think of your writing?
My family and friends love my books.  (or so they tell me)

17. What does your writing schedule look like? 
I am currently going back through some unpublished books I have written, to get them ready to publish.
Thank you for sharing and devoting your time to answer a few questions. It's been a pleasure having you here. If you would like to find out more about Roderick, please visit him on Amazon

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...