Saturday, June 9, 2012

Author Spotlight featuring Jennifer Brown

Welcome Jennifer Brown


Books
In Jen's Words: Facing the Issues

Biography
 I write suspense fiction. My psychological suspense novel In Jen's Words: Facing the Issues is available now through No Boundaries Press.

Book Review (Coming Soon)



Links


Interview

1. Please tell the readers a bit more about you.
I am a fiction writer out of Springfield, Ohio.

2. What types of books do you write?
I write suspense, and lean towards psychological suspense.

3. Who's your main audience?
I’d like to say teen and up. I was once told by publisher that turned In Jen’s Words down it would be more suited for Young Adult readers. That was not my aim, but I think any mature audience of suspense readers would enjoy it.

4. When it comes to writing- what are your strong points? What are your weaknesses?
I would have to say, my strong points are the fact I stick to a strict schedule with my writing, one where I don’t get burn out, and keep myself paced.

5. What do you think of this term- Writer's Block? How do you overcome it? Writer’s block is always temporary, at least for me. It’s something I believe every writer has to deal with. Lately, when I have been stuck, I have “hurt” my character to move the story along. It works!

6. How many books have you written?
I have been writing for years, I have an entire box full of notebooks in my closet.

7. How many are published?
In Jen’s Words is my first novel.

8. Are you self published or traditionally published? I have gone through a new publisher, No Boundaries Press.

9. What's the hardest part of the writing process for you? Editing is pretty rough. It can be a tedious process, especially when you want it all to be as perfect as possible.

10. What type of books do you enjoy reading?
Suspense mainly, but I enjoy mysteries and thrillers. Suspense to me just seems to have an edge to it that mysteries and thrillers don’t.

11. Who's your favorite Author? I love Linwood Barclay’s work.

12. What's your all time favorite book? All She Ever Wanted, by Barbara Freethy.

13. How long does it take you to write a book? It varies, as to how often I get to work on it (I work on several at once). I did just finish the rough draft of the second In Jen’s Words book, and it took a little under a year and a half.

14. Out of all of your characters, which is your favorite? Why?
I love them all, but I love Jacob and Jen the most. I admire Jacob for what he’s done, raising teen siblings after their parent’s sudden death. And Jen has also accomplished a lot despite her challenges.

15. What is one of the most surprising things you've learned as a writer?
 It’s amazing how I always manage to surprise myself as I write, the storyline always goes in a direction I never expected. Every time I think I can’t be more shocked, the characters prove me wrong.

16. What does your family think of your writing? My dad has always been proud of me. My mom taught me to read before I was in kindergarten, so that was a little bit of help and rearing in the right direction.

17. What does your writing schedule look like?
 It varies, because I randomly pick certain days to write, and certain books to work on.

18. Do you manage to write every day? No, but each day that I do set aside to write, I try to make it my goal for the day. Sometimes life gets in the way of that, but I try to improvise. If I even suspect I may end up stuck somewhere for a while, I take my writing with me.

19. What's the latest news you'd like to share? I am working on polishing up the second book in the In Jen’s Words series. It takes place around Christmas, so I’m hoping to have it submitted soon, maybe in time to be released for Christmas.

20. Do you have any advice for new writers? If you truly enjoy what you are doing never let someone else talk you out of it.


Thank you so much Jennifer for hanging out with us today. We wish you the best on your writing journey and hope you have a wonderful day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...