Friday, April 19, 2013

Interview with author...Brandy Nacole

Author Bio

Brandy Nacole resides in Arkansas where her imagination runs wild.  Her obsession is reading but her passion is writing.  She put her dream of becoming a writer on the back burner and went to college to become a psychologist.  Three years after endless classes in a field she only felt half satisfied with, Brandy picked up her pen once again and wrote the outline to Uniquely Unwelcome.  She finished out her degree in psychology but traded her dream of writing for the degree and put psychology on the back burner.  Whenever she’s not reading or writing, Brandy is spending time with her family and friends, throwing around crazy ideas, and laughing through the crazy moments. 

She is the author of The Shadow World Series and The Spiritual Discord Series.



I had the opportunity to do an interview with Brady.  Enjoy!



1.     Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

Well, I’m a 26 year old mother of three awesome kiddos, all under the age of 5.  My life revolves around them and my writing.  My kiddos and hubby come first in my life, always first.  But the great thing is, even at the young age my kids are, they respect mommy just as much as she respects them.  When I’m working on something, like this interview here, they are quiet.  My daughter, who’s the oldest, is the best.  She’s curious about my writing and books, gives me ideas, and then helps keep her younger brothers occupied so mommy can create. 

2.     When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?

I started writing at a very young age.  My mom just recently found my first picture book I had made before I started school.  Then she found my first written story I wrote at age seven.  The story was about a boy named Sam and his pet alligator.  My story’s grew as I got older of course, and even though my dream from that young age was to be an author, I never actually thought I would.  The reason, fear.  But, my awesome hubby, friends, and family kept pushing me until I caved and well…here I am.  I finished my first published book, Uniquely Unwelcome, in May 2012 and just currently published my third book, Broken Faith.

3.    Where do you get your ideas?

I wouldn’t say there is one specific thing that inspires my ideas because I have found inspiration from many different things.  Music.  Nature.  Dreams.  Heck, even road signs. 
The idea for Uniquely Unwelcome came from a dream.
The idea for Broken Faith came from two road signs, a foggy night on a full moon, and pure idea building.
Another book that I’ve been working on in my spare time, The Lights, came from a local folklore tale in my area. 

4.     Do you work with an outline, or just write?

I do create an outline, but most of the time I just write.  Sticking to an outline just doesn’t seem to work for me.  While I’m writing, new ideas, ideas I get surprised at myself, just come to me.  This usually causes my main plot to veer around my original idea. 

5.    Can you tell us about your challenges in getting your first book published?

Oh goodness, I had so many challenges with Uniquely Unwelcome that I almost gave up.  My first edition was horrible!  I didn’t have an editor, a cover designer, nothing.  I just went with it after going over the manuscript several times.  Well, as you may have guessed, that didn’t work out too well.  Thankfully my editor, J. Cameron McClain, reached out to me after seeing Uniquely Unwelcome on a GR review program.  From there, together we worked on the edits while I also worked on Book 2, Blood Burdens.  The cover was a shame as well.  I had my reasons for choosing the original cover, but after several suggestions from readers advising me to change it, I did.  The second edition of Uniquely Unwelcome was published in September of 2012.  Since then I have published Book 2 in the Shadow World series, the first book to my Spiritual Discord series, Broken Faith, and am currently working on the third book in the Shadow World series. 

6.    If you had to go back and do it all over, is there any aspect of your novel or getting it published that you would change?
The best advice I can give anyone, including myself, is to slow down.  Publishing is a novel is not a race.  I thought I was ready but I wasn’t.  Now, before publishing any book, I take all the necessary steps with caution.  It may take longer to publish, but the success rate will be better.  I didn’t do this with Uniquely Unwelcome in the beginning and it didn’t go over so well.  With the second book in that series, I did.  Then again with Broken Faith, which has been a better experience.  I have sold more copies, and received better reviews.  I will admit that the ARC copies for Broken Faith had been butchered during the conversion process and I did not know this until an ARC reader emailed me.  After fixing that glitch, I re-sent the copies out.  So always check, double check, and then check again. 

7.    Can you tell us about your latest book?
Broken Faith is an urban fantasy novel about faith, good-will, and the power of believing.  Kayson is a fallen angel, who has been on the run since his fall.  Sabrina is a vampire, a half blood child, who’s been in hiding from the very creatures created to destroy her.  Her fate changes when she stumbles across Kayson barely alive.  Then there’s Falon, alpha of the Hell Hounds, destroyer of the angels and Lucifer’s original blood children.  Emma is an ordinary human, whose only problems are making ends meet and getting over her brother’s betrayal. Kayson, Sabrina and Emma are unlikely allies, thrown together by chance to fight against the most powerful creatures of the underworld in order to follow their world-changing quest. 

8.    What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?

The battle scene.  For me, this is the most inspiring part of the whole book, especially the end of the battle scene. 

9.    What project are you working on now?

I’m currently working on the third book in my Shadow World series, Sacrifice: A New Dawn.  

10.    Do you have any advice to give to aspiring writers?

My advice to all authors, don’t give up.  Publishing isn’t easy, but if you are accomplishing a dream, then you are already a success.  One of my favorite quotes, “In the end we only regret the chances we didn’t take.”  Stay strong, take advice, listen to reviewers even when it’s hard, and keep your goals in mind, not someone else’s. 


Fun Questions:

1.    Have you ever gone out in public with your shirt on backwards, or your slippers on, and when realizing it, just said screw it?

Yes!  I’ve had plenty of my fair share of these days. 

2.    Do you prefer fuzzy or tub socks?

Tub socks

3.    Are you a person who makes their bed in the morning, or do you not see much point?

I have OCD so making the bed is a must!

4.    Be honest, how often do you wash your hair?

Everyday.  Trust me, if I could skip days, I would! 

5.    Do you get road rage? What pisses you off the most about other drivers?

I do get road rage, especially when I’m in a hurry or someone thinks a stop sign is a pretty road decoration.  Ugh.  My biggest pet peeve is someone sitting at a green light because they’re not paying attention! 

6.    Do you go out of your way to kill bugs? Are there any that make you screech and hide?

Wasps!  I hate wasps, bees, anything that stings!  I will kill, kill, kill these pesky mean bugs on the spot. 

7.    Coffee or Tea?

A month ago I would have said neither.  But as my days grow more stretched, I’m learning coffee can be the good boost I need in the mornings.  I don’t think I have really found “my coffee” fav, but I’m still experimenting. 

8.    What is your biggest phobia?

Closter phobia

9.    What’s your biggest pet peeve when it comes to social media? (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)

People who air their dirty, nasty laundry! 






You find Brandy Nacole on

Facebook: www.facebook.com/authorbrandynacole

Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/BrandyNacole


Blog: http://brandynacole.blogspot.com













1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for having me along Raebeth!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...