1. Please tell the readers a bit more about you. Hi RaeBeth. Thanks so much for having me on your blog! Seems like you attract cops- why is that?
I’m a stay-at-home wife, mom of two and new author. I was a deputy sheriff for nine years in central Ohio before my husband got a job in Kentucky and we had to relocate. My certifications didn’t carry over to Kentucky, so I was kind of at a loss about what to do. I worked for a while outside of the house, but everything seems to flow better with me at home. Which is perfect for me to develop my writing career. For years I kept little notebooks tucked here and there, jotting scenes and dialog. I didn’t particularly plan to be a writer, but when I moved down here, I needed a connection with other women. I don’t even remember where I saw the notification for my first Kentucky Romance Writers meeting, but the first time I attended, I KNEW I had found what I wanted to do. I’ve been a member for 5 years, and I am the current President.
2. What types of books do you write? I write contemporary/erotica, with the odd paranormal or urban fantasy thrown in. I love a good love story, and I tend to write military or law enforcement themed material. Might as well use the experience, right? My women are strong and my men are loving. And even my shorts have a happy ending.
3. Who's your main audience? I would like to think that my audience is female, just like myself. Busy women that like to take time for themselves here and there. Educated, believes in love, technologically savvy.
4. When it comes to writing- what are your strong points? What are your weaknesses? My strong points are coming up with ideas. My weaknesses are giving in to the muse whispering in my ear ALL the time with those ideas. It’s hard for me to settle on one manuscript to work on at a time.
5. What do you think of this term- Writer's Block? How do you overcome it? I, personally, don’t believe in writer’s block. I think it’s ‘writer’s procrastination’. If I get stuck on a scene or a plot point, I shift to something different and make my brain work on something else for a while. Having 7 or 8 manuscripts running at one time is fairly normal for me. They’re all in different stages of completion, of course, but in the long run it works well for my release schedule.
6. How many books have you written? Oh, gosh. Completed, I probably have 15 manuscripts waiting on my hard-drive to be cleaned up. Many, many more scenes and various ideas started.
7. How many are published? I actually have 5 books published. My first, Second Time Around, released in December of 2010 with Decadent Publishing.
8. Are you self published or traditionally published? Well, not technically traditional. I have 4 with e-publishers, and I just published my first independent book at the beginning of February. It’s titled The Awakening Society, and I guess you could call it a May-December romance. The heroine is 20+ years older than the hero, but they still manage to find love. I’m a little excited about it, because the readers decide the path of book 2 by following a link in the back of the book to my website, where I have them answer a question about what they want. I’ve gotten a lot of fantastic feedback already!
9. What's the hardest part of the writing process for you? Sitting down and concentrating, and not being tugged away by too many emails and social media distractions. And my puppy. I have a fantastic little Chihuahua that’s nine months old. The little monster demands attention!
10. What type of books do you enjoy reading? I like to read everything, and do. I LOVE to read contemporary and paranormal. And erotica.
11. Who's your favorite Author? I think I would have to say Marjorie M. Liu. I absolutely love her Dirk and Steele novels. Nalini Singh is a close second with her Archangel series.
12. What's your all time favorite book? I think that would have to be Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dance With The Devil in her Dark-Hunter series. I love wounded heroes, and she does them so well.
Thanks so much for having me on your blog! It was a fantastic experience. I love hearing from readers, so contact me any time.
The Awakening Society- http://www.amazon.com/The-Awakening-Society-ebook/dp/B0075Y6VAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330311975&sr=8-1