Saturday, March 17, 2012

Author Spotlight- Cynthia Woolf

Cynthia Woolf

 

Books by Author:
 1. Centauri Dawn
2. Centauri Twilight
3. Centauri Midnight 


Book Review (coming soon)

Links




Interview

 How did you get started writing?  I wrote my first story when I was about ten.  It was a romance about me and a little boy I liked.  I also wrote some very depressing poetry.  I decided that poetry was not for me and stuck to romance.
 
What genre(s) do you write in and why?  I have a historical western romance and a sci-fi romance out now.  The sci-fi is the first in a series.  I write in these genre’s because they are the ones whose stories reached out to me.  The western was the first book I wrote and was inspired by my parents love story.  It’s set on the same ranch that they met on in 1941.  My book is set in 1885, so it’s not their love story.  My dad was a cowboy and trapper but to the best of my knowledge was never a bounty hunter. 

The sci-fi series was done because of dreams I had when I was a teenager.  I knew I was a princess from Alpha Centauri.  There was no way I could belong to the crazy family I had.  Of course, I adore that crazy family now.

What movie best describes your life?  Why?  I think Romancing the Stone best describes my life.  It’s just one crazy misstep after another, but I got my happy ending.

What inspired your latest book?  Centauri Midnight is the third book in the Centauri Series.  I used to dream that I was a princess from Alpha Centauri, that was the basis for Centauri Dawn, book 1 in the series. 
Book 2 is much darker.  Lara is the twin sister of Audra in book 1.  Lara has been a sex slave since she was a child.  Having escaped, she’s now an outlaw and working to free the rest of the slaves who are now her people.
Book 3 is lighter again.  Kiti is a friend of Audra’s and was the lover of Anton in book 2.  She had vowed to get justice for her murdered brother and is on the trail of the man responsible.  Garrick is Darius’ best friend from books 1 & 2.  He’s loved Kiti forever but never said so because of Anton.  Now she’s free and he’s going to make sure she doesn’t get away.

What is your favorite part of writing?  My favorite part is what I call the ‘puking’ phase.  Just getting it all down on paper for the first time.  You just let if flow out of you, not caring, for the moment, if it is good or bad.

What is your least favorite part of writing?  Editing is my least favorite.  I’m constantly questioning myself and my work.  Changing it, correcting it, putting it back to what it was and starting it all again.  It’s never good enough for me.

What is your next project and when will it be released?  My next book is called CENTAURI MIDNIGHT and is the third book in the Centauri Series.  It will be released in January 2012.

What is your typical day like?  I don’t know that I have a typical day.  I’m lucky enough to be able to write full time.  I was laid off in June and am taking advantage of it to write while I look for another job.  

How much time do you spend promoting your books?  What works best for you?  I spend a lot of time promoting my books.  A minimum of two hours per day.  Usually more but it is in 15 or 20 minute increments throughout the day, not in one big chunk.  Between Facebook, Twitter, blogging, putting announcements on loops, etc, I spend a lot of time doing it.  So far, blogging seems to get me the biggest bump in  my sales.

How has your experience with self-publishing been?  My experience has been wonderful.  I highly recommend it for everyone out there who doesn’t want to be constrained by the “big” traditional publisher.  For everyone who wants to write from their heart and not according to the industry rules and constraints, self publishing is the only way to go.

Where do you get the ideas for your stories?  I have ideas from everywhere.  My sci-fi series is from my dreams as a teenager.  My western was inspired by my parents own meeting and love story.  I place Tame A Wild Heart about 60 years earlier than when my parents met but the setting on a ranch is the same.  My dad was a real cowboy and my mom was what we would call a nanny now.  They were called nursemaids then. 

What advice do you have for other authors wanting to self-publish?  Go for it.  It’s a wild ride but totally worth it.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...